Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2008

Proud Flesh Premier

The movie by Jenny Graf Sheppard and Chiara Giovando was astounding. It sounded beautiful and looked tight and there were three lines of dialogue I think. The music swept deftly between haunting, practically traditional folk and haunting, effective experimentalism. It was very unlike a music video. It had a tight story and there was a lot to do with things being intertwined and there was a lot of twiney symbolism. They really hammered in some symbolism like Nathaniel Hawthorne does. You get a symbol you like and then you make constant reference to it. This can be awful, but in Proud Flesh it was not awful because I don't necessarily know the relationship between the symbol and the story, and also every time it came up it was different and gorgeous. I didn't really "get" it, thankfully.

I want to interview the creators. I hope to, and I hope to write a more rational response at some point. This was the best indie experimental narrative I have ever seen, the first one that didn't make me cringe a lot.

Here is the trailer, which is more like a music video.

No comments:

The blog of Adam Robinson and Publishing Genius Press