Pages

Friday, October 02, 2009

Lee Rourke is editing Everyday Genius

Lee Rourke has taken the helm of Everyday Genius for October. I don't know Lee except for the stuff I've seen at 3:AM, so I googled him and wrote a biographical poem about him with links.

MY POEM ABOUT LEE ROURKE
Seems pretty great/Does it with books/Gets the things that are the best.
He lives in London, so you read that which he writes with a funny accent.
Unless you live in London too. Then you read it normal but with tea.
He wrote a book called
EVERYDAY, which is a dark collection of stories about London.
He said he wanted it "to be enveloped in a muffling fog of boredom."
I'm loathe to make judgments but that sounds paradoxically fascinating.
You know, I hope my jokes about the accent and tea didn't hurt anybody's British feelings.
Also, I hope it's okay with the joke I made in my head about y'all's teeth.
I get it from television, see. Really sorry about all that.
Lee Rourke said, "We have, more or less, turned our backs on the conglomerates."
He has another book coming out soon called THE CANAL.
He's doing that one stateside, with Melville House.
He generally has at least a little facial hair that he rocks.
Here's Lee Rourke's
blog.
Sometimes he writes for The Guardian.
Sometimes he edits a journal called
SCARECROW.
The Independent called that "Religiously Anti-Mainstream."
Like I said, Lee Rourke seems pretty great.

The piece that Lee gives us today, "Slumbible" by Steve Finbow, is the sort of writing that the Internet hosts best. It flourishes online, I think, because it relies on language more than story, and while a webbed world distracts me from engaging a narrative, it somehow encourages a language envelope. Online, language draws me in. (Reading "Slumbible," I literally moved closer to my monitor.) Here's an excerpt of Finbow's storyish:

Between her lips he blows chunks. Size of her schnozz. Hanani. They were merged. After her visit. The birds of prey. With this twisted white and memorized the became black as.
Beautiful, right? I think in general I default to looking for plot when I read, but this sort of writing resists that. Then, as my eyes scan the lines, as I allow myself to be engrossed by the language, bathed by it, I sense a bit of story emerging. This double-reflection proves easier in Finbow's piece than something by Andy Devine, like:

chesticular, China, eyebolt, eyebright, eyecup, eyehole, eyehook, eyelet, eyetooth, fear,
But even in Devine's work there is story.

I'm excited to see what else Lee Rourke bringst to the Internet table.

No comments:

The blog of Adam Robinson and Publishing Genius Press