Pages

Friday, December 04, 2009

Joe Young gets knocked

I really like this quote from Christine Sajecki, the cover artist of Easter Rabbit.

"There’s really only one [story in Easter Rabbit, 'Parallax,'] I don’t like at ALL, it bugs me every time I see it or hear him read it. The ambiguity in it feels so cheap and easy. With the last sentence in the story, the main man looks around at these people he 'has.' The end. It makes me want to scream at Joe. Has?? What a dumb word to end a good story on. He just purposely selfishly withholds everything from us there, with no image, no feeling, and I don’t even want to bother to imagine what 'has' possibly refers to. He gives nothing, I give nothing. Has. Fucking bullshit.

"When I love one of his stories, which is most of the time, it's because it's a small puddle reflecting a tall stand of trees, with complete and startling accuracy."
I would have liked to have left off that last sentence, but oh well. I guess it's impossible to really hate Joe's writing.

Get a copy.

No comments:

The blog of Adam Robinson and Publishing Genius Press