Pages

Monday, May 10, 2010

Mairéad Byrne Interview at Harriet

Don't miss this conversation between Sina Queyras and Mairéad Byrne at Harriet, the Poetry Foundation blog.

SQ: . . . I have read your blog for a few years now, and noted threads–a lot of sadness, for one, but also joy. In fact I think you made a conscious decision to find joy in poetry did you not?

MB: What have I to be sad about? Nothing much. When I broke I broke into a smile. I don’t know how that happened but it did. Writing has always made me laugh. Even when I was a young journalist tramping around Dublin with my little wire-bound notebook I was often laughing at the ridiculous things I was about to publish. It’s a way of keeping yourself happy. It’s not exactly consciously chosen. It’s more of a visitation.

1 comment:

said...

A lot of sadness.....welcome to life.

The blog of Adam Robinson and Publishing Genius Press