Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

from David Vann's Legend of a Suicide

This is one of those things she's not going to believe, he said. I tried to call her but the storm kept me from doing it. But when the tally is made, I didn't get through to her, and the storm doesn't count.

Maybe it's not like that, Roy said.

What do you mean?

I don't know.

Listen, his father said. Man is only an appendage to woman. Woman is whole by herself and doesn't need man. But man needs her. So she gets to call the shots. That's why the rules don't make any sense, and why they keep changing. They're not being decided on by both sides.

I don't know if that's true, Roy said.

This is because you're growing up with your mother and sister, without me around. You're so used to women's rules you think they make sense. That will make it easy for you in some ways, but it also means maybe you won't see some things as clearly.

It's not like I got to choose.

See? That's one of them. I was trying to make a point, and you turned it around to make me feel bad, to make me feel like I haven't done my duty according to the rules and haven't been a good father.

Well, maybe you haven't. Roy was starting to cry now, and wishing he weren't.

See, his father said. You only know a woman's way to argue. Cry your fucking eyes out.

Jesus, Roy said.

Never mind, his father said. I have to get out of here. Even if it is a fucking hurricane. I'm going for a hike.

-from David Vann's Legend of a Suicide

2 comments:

Ryan W. Bradley said...

i was just told a few weeks ago that i needed to read this book.

Adam R said...

I recommend it.

The blog of Adam Robinson and Publishing Genius Press